Wednesday, December 26, 2012

December 26 - Kwanzaa Starts


December 26 - Kwanzaa starts today. Find out the story behind its traditions at <www. officialkwanzaawebsite.org>.

This is what I found on Kwanzaa... Kwanzaa, which runs from December 26 to January 1, was created by activist professor Maulana Karenga in 1966 to celebrate African heritage. Karenga has claimed that 28 million people worldwide celebrate the holiday, but only an estimated half-million to 2 million Americans do, according to Keith Mayes, author of Black Power and the Making of the African-American Holiday Tradition. One way to avoid embarrassment this holiday season: save "Happy Kwanzaa" for people who actually celebrate it. I wish everyone "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". If they get offended, then I just say, well I then wish you a Happy "fill in the blank" to you. May your New Year be filled with lots of happiness and joy!

If anyone wished me the wrong the holiday such as saying Happy Hanukah, I would reply... "No Happy Hanukah to you and Merry Christmas to me and Happy New Year to the both of us!"

Remember, it's the thought that counts, people are just wishing us love and joy the only way they know how!

No comments:

Post a Comment