Sunday, December 2, 2012

December 2 - fill in the blanks


December 2 - Examine your data for missing citations, then look up the sources and fill in all the blanks.
 
I remember when I didn't do any citations and then found myself wondering where I found the information that I had. So I started back tracking and creating citations. I had a few published family history books that I obtained a lot of information from, so doing those were a little easier. However, I still come across a name and facts and no citations and wonder where the heck did this come from. I will spend a little time seeing if I can find this information such as through a census record, or perhaps I missed sourcing it from a book. I will look at close family members to the name that is not sourced and see if perhaps it came from the same source as those family members.
 
What I like most about doing citations, is when I go back to that branch of the family, I can see where I had looked and develop a plan to look else where for new information instead of looking at the same places I already had looked. So now I research smarter not harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment