Saturday, January 7, 2012

January 7

January 7 – Review notes from your family history conversations with relatives and add new information to your charts.

I receive a lot of emails from distant relatives where we are sharing information about different branches of my family. I have developed a habit when dealing with these emails. I try to deal with the email immediately. I add new information to my database and reference the email as my source. However, if I don’t have time to deal with the email, I will change the status of the email as unread.  I make sure that I don’t let more than a week lapse before adding new information to my charts. I make sure I respond to the email if they are requesting new information. Even if I don’t have time, I will let them know when I will make time to deal with their request.  This way it forces me to meet that deadline. No one expects you to drop everything to deal with their request, but it is rude if you don’t reply or acknowledge receiving their request. Especially if you want to keep receiving help from your relatives, you want to make sure you make them feel important and worthwhile.
However, if you have been putting off dealing with these types of correspondence and now have a pile of these waiting for your attention, do it today. Start with the oldest and go through your pile and handle as many as you can today. If you have too many, then make sure you do either a set number of them each day you set aside for your genealogy or a set time frame such as 30 minutes at the beginning of your research day. There could be valuable leads hiding in these notes. Remember, don’t work harder but smarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment