Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January 3

January 3 – Take an inventory of your supplies and research materials. List items you still need to research more efficiently.

This is my favorite tip-a-day. I love supplies and research materials. I do have a slight buying problem when it comes to supplies and research materials, so keeping a list of items is very cost effective. This summer I discovered that I ordered a duplicate book of one I already had. Argh, I can’t pass up a bargain, but this was stupid. I could have used the money to buy something else. So today, I will record all my books in a spreadsheet log. As for office supplies, I have plenty. I usually shop for the bargains at Staples. I start at the clearance items and see what I can get for a deal. Then I stock up on items when they are on sale. One of the best times is around the back to school sales; I have picked up many items at ridiculously inexpensive prices. However, I have to limit how much I stock up with. Markers and Highlighters will dry up before I use them; I have pens and pencils coming out of my ears, and so many pads of paper of every size imaginable.

However, if you are not a supplies and research material junking, remember to stock up on supplies when they are cheap and when you get low, then look for sales and buy more when they are on sale. Never pay full price for anything unless you really have too. I have containers in my office where I separate all my supplies and I can easily see when I am running low. I get a lot of free stuff when I attend my husband’s conventions and companies will put out pens, pencils, highlighters, notepads, post-it-notes, post-it-notes flags, calculators, rulers, magnifying glasses, etc… Now I have to stop collecting all these items, because I have too much. I share what I can with my fellow researchers, so this makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment