Thursday, April 26, 2012

April 26 - Brick Walls

April 26 – Note your brick walls. Identifying research roadblocks on paper can help you think through steps for smashing them into bits.

Today I attended a DAR workshop at my local genealogy library. I was told that my ancestor is a Revolutionary Patriot, and a gentleman by that name is indeed a Patriot. But I need to prove that I am related to that Patriot. I can get easily to his grandson, but then it’s the final two steps that I need to prove.

For those of you that don’t know what is required for DAR, you start with yourself and you go back to your Patriot. For the first 3-4 generations, you need to have a birth, marriage and death certificate for both spouses. So even though it’s my ancestor, I need to supply a birth certificate for my spouse along with our marriage certificate. Good news, it doesn’t have to be certified. Therefore, I photocopied the documents that I have. I was able to easily do myself and husband along with my parents. But then I don’t have all the documents that DAR needs. For the remaining generations, I just need to prove child/parent relationships and only need I document. So I have decided to obtain each generation before worrying about the generations that I haven’t proved yet, but was told to be true. So I guess this is how I am going to try to break through my brick walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment