Thursday, January 12, 2023

Week 2: Favorite Photo (52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – 2023 Version)

The theme for Week 2 is "Favorite Photo." I've had this theme in almost every version of 52 Ancestors because, let's face it, who can choose just one?! Plus, we should be telling the stories of those photos so they don't get lost to time. Click here to check out all the themes for 2023.

I don’t have many photos of family. I am terrible about taking photos too. I have no problem taking a picture of a beautiful sunset or a newly snowed landscape however, taking pictures of my love ones, not so much. I think it is because I don’t want to stop the fun, we are having to take a picture. Let’s be honest, if we have a cell phone, we most likely have a phone on us at all times. I need to do better.

Anyway, a favorite photo. I decided to pick a new picture rather than an old one. A photo that I managed to stop and take. I picked this newer picture, mostly because I could not find the photo that first came to mind. However, perhaps this photo is a better choice.

Here is a photo of my youngest daughter, Sami and my only grandchild, Austyn. This was taken in February of 2011. It is the first time, for both girls to have played in snow. We lived in Arizona since 1999 and Sami was just two years old when we moved and Austyn was born in Arizona. This photo was taken when we returned to Wisconsin, to bury my father on the anniversary of his 81st birthday. The weather that week was strange. If I remember correctly, we had a light snow when we landed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We swung by a Goodwill to pick up snow boots and snow pants for the children. 

The snow melted so we could bury my father on his birthday, and then we had a huge snow storm the next day. I think it was a gift from my father so the girls could play in their very first snow. It was beautiful snow; big flakes and it gave them lots of fresh snow to play in.

What I really love about this picture is how my daughter is soaking in the joy of the new snow and the love my granddaughter is showing towards her aunt. They played for a long time together. I think they tried to build a snowman, but the snow wasn’t a wet snow and thus they didn’t succeed in that activity.

A few years later, we visited the Grand Canyon in January, which was about four hours from our Arizona home. These two girls got to see lots of snow there too. Northern Arizona had a huge snow storm on January 1st and the highway between our home and the Grand Canyon was shutdown. We had planned on going on January 1st. It was the first time I saw the Grand Canyon in snow, truly a different experience that I will never forget either. I am glad I took some people pictures on that trip.

I usually end my blog posts with Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy! However, I want to add, don’t forget to stop and take some pictures of your love ones while enjoying life!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment