Sunday, January 1, 2023

Week 1: I’d Like to Meet (52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – 2023 Version)

The theme for January and for Week 1 is "I’d Like to Meet" Most of us have an ancestor who we'd like to meet (even if it's to ask, "What are your parents' names?") This week, write about that ancestor or why you'd want to meet him or her. Feel free to be creative! Click here to check out all the themes for 2023.

When I think of this theme, all I can say is Who I’d like to meet, let me count the ways. I have so many I would like to meet, not only to ask questions, but to see what they look like and get a feel for their personalities.

My 3rd great grandfather, Amos Booth just appeared in the United States around 1850 as a single 25-year-old who was born in Canada. Even though my nephew has almost certainly figured out who his parents are. I would still like to meet him and confirm this. I want to know what brought him from Eastern Canada to Northern Illinois. What happened to him during the Civil War that caused his estrangement from his wife and children?

My 2nd great grandfather, James Crinion. I want to know who his parents are. I have found three siblings, all sisters, but did he have more siblings? Did any remain in Ireland? Did any siblings not come to Wisconsin? Also, what made him so bitter that he wrote his dead daughter’s children out of his will. He stated he left them nothing because they did nothing for him in his life. WOW! Losing a mother is tragic and perhaps it was their father that kept them from him. I just want to know more about him and this sad family situation.

My 3rd great grandfather Lawrence Hiltz/Hilts. I want to know not only his parents but his grandparents’ names. My tree starts to fall apart around here. Too many Lawrence Hilts and I can’t figure out his lineage back to his immigrant ancestor who came to American in 1710. Also, was his wife Nancy also a Hilts descendant. It would explain why my DNA matches with Hilts descendants seem to have more DNA than expected. Actually, I want to know all about the Hilts clan. Why do some spell their surname as Hiltz while others Hilts? It keeps getting changed back and forth from one generation to the next and even siblings spell it differently. 

Finally, my 2nd great grandparents, Timothy O’Brien and his wife Mary O’Reilly. Not only don’t I know their parents’ names, I don’t know of siblings either. Tim was married twice, what was his first wife’s name. Was the witness at your and Mary’s wedding, Mary’s sister? What happened to her?

I could go on like this for days. As family genealogist know to well, once one question gets answered we have three new questions. This is a never-ending cycle.

Remember to have fun and Just do Genealogy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment