Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Sponable Family History

I was searching my Sponable history because this is the branch of my family that has my DAR Patriot ancestor, Johannes Phillip Spanknable.

I created a facebook page for my Spanknable ancestor back in August 2012 after hearing about how one could use facebook as part of their genealogy. They had an example of using an ancestor as a facebook page and I thought I would do the same. About two weeks ago, I received my very first two likes!

They both seems to be connected to one of Johannes grandsons, Fox Sponable. However, I do not have a Fox Sponable in my file. Okay, that is not unusual, since I was concentrating on my direct lineage and I do put children of my direct lines but not always grandchildren or later lines unless I connect with someone.

During my search to figure out where Fox fits into the picture I came across a marriage index record for my 3rd great grandmother, Harriet Elizabeth Nedry. What made this find so strange is that it was a marriage between her and John S Sponable. Harriet's mother is Elizabeth Sponable the granddaughter of Johannes through his son John Sponable and Elizabeth Lighthall.

The index stated that the marriage occurred between 1892 and 1896. I have Harriet living in Marengo, McHenry, IL in both 1880 and 1900. I also find the index under both her maiden name of Harriett E Neadry and her married name of Harriett E Booth. And both indexes reference groom of John S Sponable.

I know that Harriet's (first husband) Amos Booth was living in a Veterans home by 1880. I also know that she collected from Amos' Civil War Pension as a Widow when in fact he was still living. It wasn't until he filed for disability against the Pension that they cut off Harriet and awarded Amos. Then when Amos died in 1899, Harriet reapplied and was award his Pension once again. In those papers it states that Harriet never remarried.

Therefore, I could not help myself, I had to send $10.00 out to Kent County Clerk's Office in Grand Rapids, Michigan and request the marriage certificate. I also found a death index showing that John S Sponable died 7 April 1906 and thus I requested that record too. Now the hard part, waiting for my treasurers to arrive via snail mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment