Monday, January 17, 2022

Week 3: Favorite Photo (52 Ancestors in 52 weeks)

 This week’s prompt is to tell the story of a favorite photo: who is in it, where and when it was taken, and why it was taken. What was the event?

Let’s be honest, we probably have more than one “favorite photo”. I decided to select a photo I just came across of my paternal “step” grandfather and his parents and siblings.

My mother didn’t find out until her 18th birthday that her father was not her biological father. He raised her and legally adopted her when she was 18 and according to the adoption papers, so that she didn’t have to go through life presenting an illegitimate birth certificate.  So even though this family is technically a step family, it’s the only family my mother knew in her childhood. My mother took this secret to her grave and I only uncovered it around 2011 after starting my application for the Daughters of the American Revolution and found my grandparent’s marriage record dated 1929 instead of 1926. In a previous blog post I did back on July 22, 2013, you can read about “My mother’s secret”.

In this photo are my great grandparents, August Hafenstein and Emma Thielke, along with their three children, Gilbert, Mildred and my grandfather John Wesley.

I believe this picture was taken when Gilbert was confirmed because his age and attire is similar to his confirmation picture. If I had to guesstimate a year, it was about 1927. Gilbert looks to be about 14. There are no markings on the picture and thus I am unsure where this picture was taken. The family was living in Fountain Prairie, Columbia County, Wisconsin on a farm during the 1920 US Federal Census. However by 1930 US Federal Census they purchased a home in Beaver Dam, Dodge County, Wisconsin.

August Frederick Hafenstein was born Aug 4, 1876 in Portland, Dodge County, Wisconsin, the son of Johann and Augusta (Baumann) Hafenstein. His parents were German immigrants. On Nov 6, 1901 in Watertown, Jefferson County, Wisconsin he married Emma Sophia Thielke, daughter of John and Johanna (Buss) Thielke. They too were German immigrants. Emma was born Jan 10 1874 in Watertown, Jefferson County, Wisconsin. August died on Apr 19, 1954 in Beaver Dam, Dodge County, Wisconsin and Emma died Mar 14, 1955 in Beaver Dam, Dodge County Wisconsin.

My grandfather, John Wesley was their first born. He was born Jan 25 1903 in Beaver Dam, Dodge County, Wisconsin. John married my grandmother Katherine Arlena Hiltz on May 29, 1929 in Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wisconsin. They had three daughters. John was sickly for many years and died at the age of 54 on Jan 3, 1958 in Beaver Dam, Dodge County, Wisconsin, on the birthday of his youngest daughter.  Katherine died on Apr 25, 1972 in Beaver Dam, Dodge County, Wisconsin.

Mildred Dorothy was born Sept 6, 1906 in Beaver Dam, Dodge County, Wisconsin and married LaFallette Marion “Bob” Allen on Dec 15, 1927 in Columbus, Dodge County, Wisconsin.  They had four children, their oldest died when he was only 3 months old in 1930. Mildred died on May 9, 1985 while Bob passed away in 1996. Bob was a farmer and even ran his own dairy for many years. During the depression, my grandfather worked for Bob in his dairy and my mother said his wages included, milk, cheese, butter and ice cream.

Gilbert Raymond was born Jan 22, 1913 in Calamus, Dodge County, Wisconsin and married Adeline Splitt in 1941 in Dubuque County, Iowa. They had one son.  Gilbert died on Apr 3, 1978 while Adeline died on Aug 23, 1987.

So what is one of your favorite photos?  

Check out Amy Johnson Crow 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Themes for 2022 to receive a weekly email with ideas for using the prompts or to check out the Themes for 2022.


No comments:

Post a Comment