Monday, January 29, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 5 "In the Census"

The Week 5 prompt from Amy Johnson Crow is "In the Census." What intriguing find have you made in a census? What has a series of census records shown you? Do you have an ancestor who constantly ages only 7 years between censuses? (Those are fun!)

I decided to look at this prompt in a different light. I went to my Great Grandmother who I can't seem to find in the 1930 Census (since she was divorced at that time) and see if anything new comes up. So I opened up my genealogical software program and realized I did not record a 1900 or 1940 census for her either.




This prompt gives me the perfect opportunity to add some additional source material to my database.  

I now realize why I didn't record the 1900 census, the transcriber listed Fred as her spouse when in fact the name should be David. I have no idea how the transcriber figured out anything for the name based on the image. 


I can make out the name David as the Head of Household. This census is very interesting as it stated she had 2 children however only one is living. This does correspond with the birth and death record I found for their son David who was born in 1897 and died in 1898. I added alternate info to the Ancestry Census record, it's my way of "paying it forward". 




My quick searches for my great-grandparents in the 1940 census did not turn up anything. They remarried in 1936 and thus should be living together. They both were alive. I may have to search page by page through the census records for that area. Since they were divorced during the 1930 US Census, using their last address is not very helpful. I still can't find my great-grandmother in the 1930 US Census either, she is not living with her children and she might had been living as a "common law wife" and I have no idea what the mans name would be. Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack. 


No comments:

Post a Comment