Tuesday, January 8, 2013

More Purging

As I was scanning large groups of papers for my genealogy society project, I decided to continue my purging of my files.

I came across some files that were actually useful. My grandmother had a scrapbook of newspaper clippings, birth announcement cards, wedding invitations and even funeral cards. Years ago, I had photocopied each of these pages, so I could have a copy of her scrapbook. Then I proceeded to cut out the articles (from my copy) and started to sort them by family name. I came across a group for my maternal grandmother’s maiden name. I had forgotten that I had these. I was excited because when I had started putting these names into my database, I didn’t always source where I found this information. Now I have something to record and I can proceed to scan the items, and then file them into the proper folder.

In the last few years, I have started to create a computer record of my paper records. This is easy with census records, since they are found online and with my Ancestry.com subscription, I can easily save these to my computer. I also like the idea of scanning vital records, because then I don’t have to keep touching the copies that I have. I can just bring up the scan image and review the item. Plus I can attach the copy of the source to my citation within my genealogy program.

I felt extremely productive today, because I was working on two projects at the same time, my huge scanning project and my own purging project. Multi-tasking is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment