Wednesday, November 7, 2012

November 6 - American Indian Heritage


November 6 - Chase down those family stories about an American Indian great-great-grandmother. See the April 2004 Family Tree Magazine and http://www.archives.gov/research/native-americans/.

I remember growing up, my half-siblings telling me that they descend from an Indian Princess. Well, as I grew up, I learned that family stories sometimes have a little bit of truth in them. They do descend from Indian Blood, and it was through the War Chief's daughter. So it was assumed that she was a Indian Princess. However, there are many different types of Chiefs in a tribe and they as a group decide how to proceed with the tribe.

Later I found that I one of my ancestors, through my mother was an Mohawk Indian Women from the turtle clan. I haven't done any more research to find out what that exactly means or how the family historian even knows this. I guess now is better than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment