Saturday, June 22, 2024

Week 26: Family Gathering (52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – 2024 Version)

The theme for Week 26 is "Family Gathering." It's the time of year for family reunions, holiday cookouts, and other get-togethers. Has your family had a family reunion? Do you have favorite memories of getting together with cousins and other relatives? Click here to se all the 2024 prompts.

My mother’s side of the family is the one I remember having family reunions. These were for the descendants of Johann (John F) Hafenstein (1847-1914) and his wife Augusta Baumann (1845-1908). They had 10 children and 36 grandchildren. My grandfather was one of the grandchildren. 

The first one I find in the newspaper is from 1931. My grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Welsey Hafenstein and children attended. One of these children, is definitely my mother, Orlien.

On Sunday, June 28, 1936, the Hafenstein’s celebrated five couples wedding anniversaries and five birthdays. My mother listed as attending under the name of Emily Orlien. Where Emily came from, I have no idea, her middle name is Mary.

 

In 1952, the Hafenstein reunion is held at my mother’s aunt and her husband’s farm. By this time, my mother is married to her first husband, Quentin McAbee and is expecting her third child. They were living in Auburn, Washington and probably is the reason why they didn’t attend. 

On June 19, 1955, the reunion is again being held at my mother’s aunt and uncle’s farm. They also combined it with a bridal shower for my aunt, Mary Hafenstein who going to be married on July 2, 1955. They didn’t list all the guest but did mention my aunt and her future husband, Russell Reilley by name.


 In 1961, the reunion was held in Beaver Dam (Wisconsin) Park. The traditional reunion post isn’t found, just a brief notice that L. M. Allens and Mrs. Randall (their daughter) and children attended the Hafenstein family reunion.


 In 1992, I was part of the planning committee and it was the first one to jump back two more generations for the Descendants of Gottfried Hafenstein (1782-1866) and his wife Louise Kistenmacher (1796-1860). We gathered at Lakeview Park in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. My aunt, Mary Hafenstein Reilley and I had completed the book, The Generations of Hafensteins.

 

I know there were more reunions, however, this is all I found online. These newspapers articles are interesting, especially the ones that list individuals. I will need to review these and make sure I have accounted for each individual.

Remember to have fun and Just Do Genealogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment